You know where you’re going as a makeup artist, you just need the opportunity to hone your skills and gain hands-on experience working with today’s top cosmetic brands. You may not have the time to devote to months or years of study, but you want to learn the right way, from some of the most successful makeup artists working today. You want to graduate knowing you have what you need to break into the industry.
AMUA’s most streamlined class, the Freelance Makeup Artist program gets you ready for the workplace in just 8 weeks with a part-time schedule. The Freelance Makeup Artist program is all about beauty and glamour techniques. It provides you with the entry-level skills necessary to become a successful freelancer, or to work with your favorite retail cosmetics brands.
You’ll also leave the Freelance Makeup Artist Program with key business skills and industry connections thanks to an intensive week-long makeup business class that is offered four times each year.
Graduates have gone on to make their mark in many fields:
- wedding and bridal beauty services
- special events and pageants
- commercial and video
Students will graduate with
- Portfolio with 4 professional photos
- Access to AMUA Alumni Group and Job Board
- Maximum class size is 12; Early enrollment is encouraged
- Fees include Pro Makeup Kit, Airbrush Kit
Example Student Portfolios
Beauty Makeup – 5 weeks
Learn the fundamentals of the makeup artist’s trade: Beauty and corrective makeup, makeup trends from 1900’s to today, sanitization and hygiene, color theory, and airbrushing
Photographic Hair Styling – 1 week
Take a tour of the past century in hair styling: You’ll master classic styles of yesterday and today, and discover how to make them your own.
Lighting & Photography – 1 week
Get ready for your close-ups: Learn good set etiquette from industry professionals as you explore color theory for different lighting styles. Participate in two days of photoshoots with a pro photographer. You’ll add six different looks to your portfolio.
Business Development – 1 week
Make it as a makeup artist: Key lessons in the business side of freelancing, including contracts, taxes, networking and finding work, building websites and marketing on social media.
- January 8 – February 28 (Monday/Wednesday, PM)
- January 13 – March 4 (Saturday/Sunday)
- April 2 – May 23 (Monday/Wednesday, PM)
- April 14 – June 3 (Saturday/Sunday)
- July 9 – September 29 (Monday/Wednesday, PM)
- July 14 – September 2 (Saturday/Sunday)
- October 1 – November 21 (Monday/Wednesday, PM)
- October 6 – December 1 (Saturday/Sunday)
- Application: $100
- Tuition: $2,880
- Other Program Costs: $1,723
- Estimated cost of other out-of-pocket supplies: $300
Bennett Jason has inspired creativity, confidence, and individuality through cosmetic application and artistic direction for 10+ years. He was discovered by a producer and was soon involved in casting direction, production assistance, runway coordination, and makeup artistry at Warner Brothers Studios in Hollywood.
From the west coast, Bennett came to NYC in 2004, and immediately landed a job with fashion mogul Diane von Furstenberg, managing her namesake beauty line in SoHo. He has been walking his path with such hard-hitting beauty brands as Lancome and Stila ever since.
Download to see what makes AMUA grad's portfolios so competitive.